Featured Post

Fatal Attraction or Bad Decisions – A Retro of a 30-Year-Old Classic

In September of 1987, fresh from college graduation and new to the city of Los Angeles, I decided to take refuge in a movie the...

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Brimorie - A New Age

Welcome to the second part of my series, Brimorie - A New Age.  Think of this as an experiment, if you will. 

Each month, will bring a new installment. This will be a different experience for most of my constant readers. In a sense, what you will be viewing is my script for a potential horror movie.

The characters of Brimorie (you will get introduced to him later, if you survive), Professor Ben Collins and James Rogers were created by Theresa Jacobs for her book, “Sudden Death.” 

If you are a fan of the supernatural and things that go bump in the night, I highly recommend that you pick it up. You won’t be able to put it down.  

Check it out at the following link:

 Now, join me if you dare, as we step into a place where technology meets terror.  Sometimes it is better to unplug. Enjoy…….

INT. KITCHEN-HOUSE-EARLY EVENING

Ben sits at the kitchen table eating dinner when he hears someone POUNDING on his front door. Pulling his chair back, he gets up slowly and heads toward the sound.
From his POV, we can see a shadowy figure silhouetted in the opaque glass of the door. Before the figure can knock again, Ben opens the door to reveal James.

JAMES

Professor Collins?
BEN

Yes?
JAMES

My name is James Rogers.

He offers Ben his hand. Reluctantly, because it is the polite thing to do, Ben shakes it.
BEN

What can I do for you?
JAMES

You're the Brimorie expert?

At the sound of the name, Ben's demeanor changes. He has gone from polite to on guard in an instant.
BEN

I have studied that phenomenon before, why?
JAMES

I need your help. Professor Victoria Cavelli called you asking for advice on how to banish this whatever the hell it is....
BEN

It's a demon.
JAMES

Well, whatever this fucker is, it killed your friend, Professor Cavelli and my friends so I'm here because I need to know how to send this thing back to hell where it came from.

Ben sighs and closes his eyes.
BEN

There is nothing I can do for you.

He attempts to close the door. James blocks it with his arm.
JAMES

Look, Professor. This thing is still out there. God only knows where it is but it can kill at any time. Do you want that on your conscience?

Ben steels himself and looks at James. His body is rigid, there is fire in his dark gaze.

BEN

Don't talk to me about conscience. Now, at the risk of being rude, why don't you just go back from where you came.

He attempts to shut the door on James who blocks it again.

JAMES

I can't do that. Don't you get it? I LOST MY FUCKING BEST FRIENDS. People are dead because of this shit and you can just walk away from it?

BEN

What the hell do you want from me? You think we can just go around saving the world, kid? Well, it doesn't work like that. Sometimes you have to just pull up stakes, cut your losses and move on.
JAMES

Well, I can't do that. I can't just bury my head in the sand. What if this thing decides it wants to keep killing?

BEN

That isn't my problem.
JAMES

I know about Charlotte.

Ben stops cold. He locks eyes with James.
JAMES (CONT'D)

I know they never found her and the case is cold. She downloaded that game, didn't she?

When Ben looks at James again, the pain is evident in his eyes. The steely eyed gaze has been replaced with a deep, penetrating sadness.

JAMES (CONT'D)

Help me, Professor. Maybe we can get this bastard that killed your daughter.

Weary and beaten, Ben steps aside and lets James in the house. He shuts the door.

INT. TOWN CRIER TAVERN - NIGHT

It is 9:00 p.m. A live band is playing a cover of 'I PUT A SPELL ON YOU'. Everywhere you look it is a sea of college kids in various states of intoxication. In a corner booth, Devin, Matt, Petra and Sophie are huddled together. A half full pitcher of beer sits on the table in front of them. They are drinking while looking at Matt's laptop.

Over Matt's shoulder, the screen has the following disclaimer on it: Play Sudden Death if you dare! Must be 18 to play. Real time. Real life. Once you enter, you cannot leave! Matt takes a sip of his beer.

MATT

This just makes me want to play this game even more.
DEVIN

I want to get a look at the code before we do anything. Is there a way?
MATT

Yes. I can actually look at the source code if it's provided. Let me try running this program. Step back! Genius at work, people!

Matt starts typing in assorted commands. Immediately, a separate window of code appears next to Sudden Death's front screen.


MATT (CONT'D)


We're in!

Matt slowly strolls through the code looking for any anomalies.
PETRA

This looks tedious. Do you even know what you're looking for?

Matt rolls his eyes.
MATT

Of course, I do! So far, it looks kosher. It is your standard game code.
SOPHIE

Look what I found!

Sophie turns her Tablet around for everyone to see. It is a website that features a vlog from James.

SOPHIE (CONT'D)

This guy was there on campus. He talks about what happened.

She hits play on the video. James begins speaking.

JAMES

I am doing this so I have a record of what just went down.  It's crazy but most of my friends are dead. If I can help anyone out there, don't play Sudden Death. You will be so sorry if you do. There is one person who can help me and I'm going to find him. Ben Collins. Just stay away from the game.

James shuts down his webcam and the screen goes dark. The group looks at one another.

DEVIN

Ben Collins? The professor that went crazy after his daughter died?

PETRA

I thought that was an urban legend. His daughter was apparently abducted and no one ever saw her again. It happened here on campus.

Sophie shivers. Matt notices and puts his arm around her.

MATT

My brother had him back in the day. He taught English and folklore and mythology. My brother said he was awesome. They talked about demons and all kinds of shit.

DEVIN

Do you suppose he is still around?

SOPHIE

He lives off campus. A couple blocks from here. Do you suppose he knows something about the game?

DEVIN

He might.

MATT

There is nothing in this code, man. It looks clean. So, it makes me wonder how did this entity get through? I say we play it. If we get into trouble, at least we know who we can call.

SOPHIE

I'm still not onboard with this, guys. That guy on the internet said NOT to download the game. I don't want to end up dead like those stupid kids in those bad 80s horror movies. This is how it starts, you know.

DEVIN

Matt says there is nothing wrong with the code. It could just be one of those scare tactics. Remember what they did with the original Blair Witch?

PETRA

It could be just like that. Look, Soph. We can do this.

SOPHIE

We can do this, Petra. Right. I just don't see why we would want to. Devin?

Devin is deep in thought weighing the pros and cons.
DEVIN

I think we can do it under controlled circumstances. Matt, how comfortable are you with shutting down the program?

MATT

It can be done. I have done it before. What will happen is I will monitor the code while the game is being played.

DEVIN

I'll play it. Can you get time in one of the computer labs?

MATT

Yes.

SOPHIE

Well, you can count me out. I won't be there.

Sophie stands up and exits the booth. Petra makes a move to go after her. Devin stops her with his hand.

DEVIN

I'll get her, Petra.

Devin follows after Sophie's departing form weaving through the crowd.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE TOWN CRIER TAVERN - NIGHT

Sophie is finally outside. She takes a deep breath of the cool, crisp air and starts walking briskly down the sidewalk. Devin jogs after her. He catches up to her.

DEVIN

Soph? Would you stop for a minute?

She continues walking. Exasperated, Devin grabs her arm.

SOPHIE

What's the point, Devin? You guys are going to do what you want to do! Can't you see how dangerous this idea is? How many people died at the college in BC?

DEVIN

Do you think I would suggest it if I didn't think we could pull this off? This is probably just urban legend and I want to debunk it.

SOPHIE

Then how do you explain the news coverage?

Devin shrugs.

DEVIN

People disappear.

SOPHIE

Several people at a time? What about Dr. Collins' daughter? How can you explain the car fire?

DEVIN

They didn't find a body. Someone probably did that after they abducted her to get rid of evidence.

Disgusted, Sophie starts walking again.

SOPHIE

What if this demon is real? Then what?

Devin stops her. He twirls her around to face him.

DEVIN

There are no demons, Sophie. They are a construct. Something conjured up by religion to keep us in check. They're like the boogie men.

The two look into one another's eyes. Sophie is the first to look away. Devin gently takes her chin in his hand and forces her to look at him.

DEVIN (CONT'D)

Do you think I would ever let anything hurt you?

Sophie opens her mouth to say something but her words are immediately cut off by Devin's kiss. Startled at first, she attempts to stop him but soon gives in. Devin pulls away. They stand looking at one another.

SOPHIE

If something happens to you....

DEVIN

I am playing a game. That's it. Something I've done many times before.

SOPHIE

It still doesn't feel right.

DEVIN

Matt know what he's doing. He'll be behind the scenes. It's just a game. Trust me.

Sophie nods her head slowly.

SOPHIE

Promise me, you will stop if something happens.

DEVIN

Cross my heart.  Let me take you home.

Devin slips his arm around Sophie's shoulders. They start walking away.

INT. OFFICE - NIGHT

Ben is sitting behind his desk while James is sitting in front of him in an overstuffed leather chair. James is intently looking at a book while Ben is staring at his laptop.

JAMES

Sorry, Dr. Collins. This is some fucked up shit.

BEN

Yes, it is.

JAMES

So, this demon is a shapeshifter?

BEN

Yes. That is how it is able to insert itself into the app.  There have been many shapeshifters throughout the ages but Brimorie is the most powerful. He was Satan's right hand, so to speak. It is said that Satan was so pleased with his loyalty and service that he bestowed upon him the ability to become whatever he wanted at any given time.

JAMES

How did you find out about all of this?

BEN

I was in Turkey doing some research about Göbekli Tepe. I discovered some ancient text in the Book of Enoch that talks about Brimorie.

JAMES

How did it get here?

BEN

My guess? Someone conjured it up. Several years back the town had a problem with a weird cult that made its home in the woods for a while.

JAMES

Do you know if your daughter downloaded the app?

BEN

I don't know. They couldn't find her phone. With the fire....

JAMES

I'm sorry.


Ben shrugs his shoulders.
JAMES (CONT'D)

How do we kill it?

Ben sits back in his chair, running his hand through his hair, he stares down at his desk.

BEN

I don't know if we can.

EXT. COLLEGE CAMPUS - DAY

Devin, Sophie, Matt and Petra are congregating outside the library.

MATT

It's on like Donkey Kong. I talked to some of my friends in the lab. We can have it at 10:00 tonight.

DEVIN

How did you manage that?

MATT

Told them I was working on some top-secret thing for Dean Rusk. No questions. I'm probably going to go a little early to get set up. Want to do this real official.  Question of the day is, are you ready, bud?

DEVIN

Yes.

MATT

Alright! Hey, I've got to run. See you guys on the flip side.

The remaining trio watch as Matt takes off.

PETRA

I hate to admit it but I am pretty psyched.  See you guys at 10. Gotta get going or Professor Davies will have my ass.

DEVIN

It's going to be alright, Soph.

Sophie nods but she is far from convinced.

DEVIN (CONT'D)

Look, I've got Applied Physics. I'll see you later.

Devin gives Sophie a quick kiss on the lips. She watches him make his way across the campus.
















Susan Leighton Woman on the Ledge  on My Trending Stories Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment